Troubleshooting a Heating and Air Conditioning System in Durham
Attempt These Solutions Prior to Calling for Service
When you experience trouble with your Boer Brothers system, please call us for questions or service. To help you determine the problem area, there are a few solutions that you can attempt prior to calling us for heating and air conditioning repair in Durham:
Inspect Your AC Equipment
- Make sure the thermostat is set to the “cool” setting.
- Check your outdoor air conditioning (condensing unit) to make sure it is running.
- On the electrical panel, check the circuit breakers in the circuit breaker box to make sure they are “ON”.
- On the outdoor AC unit, find the “disconnect switch” and see if it is in the “ON” position. (This is usually a grey 8? wide x 16? high x 4? deep box that is mounted to the wall).
- Check the blower motor in your furnace to make sure it is running. (When the thermostat is in the “cool” position, the blower needs to be running.)
- If not, look at the on / off switch on the unit, and see if it is in the “ON” position
- Check your filters and replace if they are dirty and blocking airflow.
- Without proper airflow, an extremely blocked filter can be the cause of your outdoor air conditioner unit shut down.
- Change air filters monthly, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Make sure that all of your return air grilles are not blocked by furniture.
- Supply air registers should be open and blowing air.
Gas Furnace Equipment
- Look at your thermostat and make sure the setting is on “Heat”.
- Review the temperature setting on the thermostat, to make sure it is set higher than the actual indoor temperature that is shown on the thermostat.
- This signals your heating system to provide heat.
- Make sure the furnace has power.
- Turn the fan to “ON” using the fan switch on your thermostat to ensure there is power to the furnace.
- Circuit breakers at the electrical panel location should be in the “ON” position.
- The SSU switch (light switch on a gray box at the furnace) should also be in the “ON” position
- Furnace filter should be replaced.
- Replace 1” furnace filters monthly for best efficiency.
- Purolator 2” thick and other high-capacity pleated filters may be changed bi-monthly or just 6 times per year.
- Return air grilles should not be blocked by furniture.
- Supply air registers should be blowing air.
If you have checked these solutions for your heating and air conditioning system in Durham, and still have a problem with your HVAC system, call us at 919-929-9886. Please have your model number available.